March 18, 2017

Marlborough, New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc | My Default White Wine

Since I will be referring back to the taste of Marlborough Sauvignon Blancs, I think it's only appropriate that I write up a post abuot them.

Dry, gooseberries, tropical, zesty, lingering. These are all words that describe the taste of Marlborough Sauvignon Blancs. I find that I always return to the Sauvignon Blancs that taste the least "zesty" or tart; that is -- the ones that don't have an acidic aftertaste. I have made a list of those below, from my absolute favorite on down to some good options.













Whitehaven

$20
For me, Whitehaven Sauvignon Blanc is my Holy Grail white wine. It's got the perfect amount of dry and sweet and the aftertaste always leaves you wanting more. It's more expensive than others, but definitely worth the price. Once you have it, you see exactly why it's as pricey as it is. The bottle in the store is around $20, but don't be surprised to see this wine at around $15/glass in restaurants.

Kim Crawford

$10-15
Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc is a great option. It's almost as good as Whitehaven and is a great option if Whitehaven is not available.

The wines below are good options if neither of the two above are readily available. They are also a lot more common in restaurants and stores, but have more of that tarty aftertaste I was talking about earlier. I still buy and drink them without hesitation, though!

Monkey Bay

$10 or less

Oyster Bay

$10 or less

Nobilo 

$10-12

Cupcake

$10 or less


So there you have it. I would encourage you to try a Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. Especially if Riesling is more sweet than you'd like it to be and Pinot Grigio is too dry.


No comments:

Post a Comment