March 11, 2017

Domaine de la Chaise Touraine Sauvignon (2015) | France

I found myself in Whole Foods on a chilly Saturday night with a taste for white wine. I couldn't decide between Sancerre and Sauvignon Blanc, when I spotted this French Sauvignon Blanc and became immediately intrigued. Was it like a New Zealand Sauvignon Blac, or closer to California? Or maybe it was one of those in-betweeners, like from South Africa. Perhaps it was like Sancerre?

As my default is New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, I went ahead with it; a plus is that it was only $9.99, an unusual price point for Sauvignon Blanc in Whole Foods. I also loved the classic label; and yes, sometimes I get drawn in by the label rather than what's in it.


Country/Region/Year

France, Loire Valley, 2015

Comparable to

South Africa Sauvignon Blanc. It's more tangy/tarty than New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. It smells delicious; very fruity, but citrusy and it tastes similar to how it smells. It's got a sharp and tangy aftertaste, which I don't generally go for, but it's not overwhelming.

Alcohol Content

12.5%

Price

$9.99/750 ml

I liked the Domaine de la Chaise Sauvignon Blanc. While I prefer Marlborough over this region, I am certainly willing to try more Sauvignon Blancs from France, as well as compare others in the region to this one. I drank it on its own, without food, but I imagine this wine would go well with fish and pastas.

No comments:

Post a Comment